Six-Pack Abs On A Budget
We 20-something girls know how to live on a budget. We have all the best nail spots on speed dial (hello, $20 mani-pedi deal), our social lives revolve around Groupon (an evening of fondue making, anyone?) and we’ve mastered the art of closet shopping. But what doesn’t come quite so easily? Those 6-pack abs, thanks to living off of Ramen, working two jobs and attempting to have a viable social life.
Luckily for you, we’ve put together seven gym-free workout alternatives. All of these workouts are free (or nearly free) so you can use the moolah you’ve saved towards something more useful. Like rent. Or that new Gucci bag.
1. Bodyrock.com. Log on and sweat it out with Body Rock! This amazing website provides new workouts on a daily basis. Taught by a variety of trainers, these HIIT (high interval training) workouts burn fat and build muscle. Most workouts are shorter than 15 minutes. Post your results online and stay motivated with the support of their online community!
2. Yoga. Stretch it out with yoga! Try borrowing a DVD from your local library or check out these sites for instant inner peace:
3. Tabata. Rev things up with tabata! This exercise, created by the Japanese scientist Izumi Tabata, suggests that eight minutes of interval training (20 seconds of working at your maximum intensity with 10 seconds rest) is more effective for burning fat than lengthy moderate pace training. Download an interval timer onto your computer or your iPhone, set it for rounds of eight and rev things up with jump rope, push ups, pull ups, sit ups and squats.
You can do all of these exercises at home and for little to no cost. Added bonus? Your entire workout can range anywhere from 4-20 minutes depending on how many tabata rounds you decide to pump out.
4. Resistance Bands. Prep yourself for a Friday night out with a tough strength training workout on Thursday. Grab resistance bands and these basic moves until your feel the burn.
5. Crossfit. Recharge with Crossfit. This high boot-camp-esque workout combines strength training with cardio in an always changing routine so that your body keeps guessing. You can try Crossfit body weight exercises in the comfort of your own home.
6. Freestyle. Enjoy a non-workout-workout-day! Organize a frisbee tournament in the park, go ice skating, try rock climbing or perhaps run errands while keeping tabs on your pedometer! Whatever you do, try to enjoy your day off while staying active. Find a pedometer here.
7. Cardio Blast. Add a bit of cardio into your routine to flush out the lactic acid from all that working out. You have three options– depending on the weather and your location try:
- Going for a run. If it’s nice out, go for a 30 minute run. Five minute warm up, 10 minutes of alternating intensity (1 minute sprint, 1 minute jog) and then jog at a moderate pace for 15 minutes.
- Hitting the hills- Keep your heart pumping and enjoy the scenery! As an alternative, jog stairs at a nearby high school track.
- Jumping rope. Hey, who says you need to even leave the house? Effective and easy, jump rope for intervals of 50 seconds on, 10 seconds off;15 rounds.
Photo Credit: Rance Costa via Flickr